first days at IBM as an intern......

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

May 6, 2010 at 8am, in my business casual attire, I got off the bus and wandered towards what I was pretty sure was the IBM Canada Lab building for my first day of work. I was so excited to start my 16 month internship as a Market Analyst at IBM. And as soon as I opened the doors of the visitors entrance, I could see that I wasn't alone on this new adventure. I was in the presence of at least 100 buzzing interns, a few drowsy from the early start to their first day.


Even though that day was 4 months ago, it still feels like just last week! There are a million great ways to describe my internship so far at IBM, the people I've met and worked with, the things I've got the chance to do, but it might just be easiest to say: I'm really glad I work here. Here are some brief takes on the variety of aspects that make up my IBM life:

I felt lucky to get any internship at all, but as being an IBMer sinks in, I feel even luckier to be a student with an IBM internship. I can get my work done in my choice of environment, based on whatever stimulates me most that day! Be it my PWA (fancy acronymn for cubicle), my desk at home, under a tree outside the Canada Lab office, or in a Cottage Oasis area on the top floor of the building, I go wherever motivates me most; all with my trusty, portable thinkpad (IBM laptop).

At IBM I was welcomed into the intern community, Future Blue, with open arms. Along with many others, I was new to IBM and to Toronto, and Future Blue made the transition so easy. We plan after work BBQs, attend Jay's Games, play volley-ball, go to networking sessions and more! I enjoyed all this fun Future Blue stuff so much, I'm now the 2010-2011 Communications Team Lead (check out the blog I run: futureblue.wordpress.com).

As for my real work at IBM, it's pretty awesome too. Everyone on my team welcomes new ideas and suggestions, even if they're from me, a new, inexperienced intern! I've never felt looked down upon, something that really surprised me, given the talented and senior people I'm on projects with.

I can't wait to see what the next year at IBM has in store for me! Maybe I'll see some of you in the halls,

- Olivia

0 comments: